As experienced roofing inspectors at Tennessee Inspection Services, we understand that a well-maintained and water-resistant roofing system is crucial for the longevity and structural integrity of your home. One often overlooked yet critical component in this regard is kickout flashing. In this blog, we’ll delve into what kickout flashing is, its significance, and why it’s essential to have it professionally installed by a roofing contractor to prevent water infiltration at areas where gutters or fascia meet sidewalls.
What is Kickout Flashing?
Kickout flashing is a specialized type of flashing that is installed at the point where a sloped roof meets a vertical sidewall. Its primary purpose is to direct rainwater away from the junction of the roof and wall, preventing water infiltration and potential damage to the underlying structure. Kickout flashing is typically made from durable materials such as metal (aluminum, copper, or galvanized steel) to ensure long-lasting protection against water intrusion.
The Importance of Kickout Flashing
- Water Diversion: One of the main functions of kickout flashing is to redirect rainwater into the gutter system, ensuring it doesn’t get trapped or infiltrate behind the gutter or fascia. Without kickout flashing, rainwater can find its way behind the gutter, leading to moisture buildup, wood rot, and even interior water damage.
- Prevention of Structural Damage: Water infiltration at the junction of a roof and sidewall can cause significant damage over time. It can compromise the structural integrity of your home, leading to mold growth, wood decay, and even potential foundation issues. Kickout flashing acts as a barrier, safeguarding your home against these potential problems.
- Extended Roof Lifespan: By effectively channeling water away from vulnerable areas, kickout flashing helps prevent premature deterioration of roofing materials. This, in turn, extends the overall lifespan of your roof, reducing the need for costly repairs or replacements.
Professional Installation by a Roofing Contractor
While kickout flashing is a relatively small component of your roofing system, its correct installation is crucial to its effectiveness. It’s highly recommended to have kickout flashing installed by a reputable roofing contractor, Here’s why:
- Expertise: Roofing contractors have the necessary knowledge and experience to properly assess the specific requirements of your roof. They can determine the appropriate size, material, and placement of kickout flashing to ensure optimal water diversion.
- Customized Solutions: Every roofing situation is unique, and a professional contractor can tailor the installation of kickout flashing to suit the specific characteristics of your roof and sidewalls.
- Quality Materials: Reputable contractors use high-quality materials that are designed to withstand the elements and provide long-lasting protection against water infiltration.
- Code Compliance: Roofing contractors are well-versed in local building codes and regulations. They will ensure that the kickout flashing installation meets the necessary standards, helping you avoid potential issues during inspections or property transactions.
In summary, kickout flashing plays a vital role in maintaining the integrity of your roofing system and protecting your home from water infiltration and related damages. Proper installation by a skilled roofing contractor is essential to ensure that kickout flashing functions as intended. At Tennessee Inspection Services, we take pride in offering comprehensive home inspection services, including the proper installation of kickout flashing. Don’t underestimate the significance of this small yet crucial component – it’s an investment that can save you from costly repairs and safeguard your home for years to come. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and ensure your roofing system is well-equipped to handle the elements.